F L Arts
Galerie d'Art Contemporain
Home Artistes Liens Contact


1911 - 1984
1 - Les tournesols - 1968
(Huile sur toile) - H:61 cm - L:50

Enrico Campagnola (1911 - 1984) Swiss.
Born in Saint-Imier, Switzlerland to a family of modest means, he mowed the lawns of the temple in Possagno, where Canova's sculptures sparked his imagination and inspired him to study sculpting.

At the age of 17, he moved with his family to Besançon. Entering a contest of the Académie des Beaux-Arts of Rome, he won a scholarship and at 23 was given the diploma of a Professor of Sculpture.

After becoming Professor at the Ecole des Beaux-Arts at Besançon, Campagnola participated in the Salon des Artistes Français (1939) where he won an honorable mention. He was commissioned to create several monuments in the region.

In 1947, Campagnola moved to Paris, where he worked as a draftsman-engraver in advertising. Without a studio to work in, he dedicated all of his free time to painting and sculpting.

In 1955 he won the Prize of the International Painting Contest in Deauville. His first group exhibition in New York was in 1955, as well as several purchases of his works by the City of Paris.
He participated in the "Salon du Nu" organized by the Galerie Bernheim Jeune in Paris. In 1956 he had a solo exhibition at the Galery Seventy Five, New York.
Starting in 1957, the Galerie Madsen in the rue Saint-Honore, Paris, began exhibiting him continuously.

In 1962, Campagnola began dedicating all of his time to painting and sculpture, exhibiting regularly in France and America.

He was invited to participate in the Quadriennale in Rome, the Biennale in Venise, the Salon d'Automne and was selected for the Greenshields Prize at the Galerie Charpentier.